CommandCar
(.333 member)
08/04/12 01:51 AM
Re: William Evans 20b Paradox

Quote:

I have ten rounds made up by Tom Armbrust in my hot little hands waiting in anticipation of getting to the range soon.

H,

Do you mind sharing the load that Tom has set up for you? Your double really looks like the muzzle of the Fauneta, but the WR 20's did not have a 50 yard leaf. More over, the difference in height between the 50 and 100 leaves suggests a more standard Paradox loading (somewhere between 1050 & 1250 fps) Holland used the more anemic loading, but probabally a safer way to start. Have you tried Roger Lake? He was rooting around the W. Evans archives and has quite a bit of information on the B&S guns. My Evans, 12 bore, was listed as a Paradox in the records and the load data is inscribed on the rib. Do you have any markings indicating the load? Do you know the build date?

Moulds for the Holland type 20 bore HP slug (425gr) can be provided by either John Millar or Mike Rowe. You can get a modern or the original H&H mould from these fellows. CBE makes a unique modern brass mould for the same slug with a really neat fixed pin HP setup (I have a spare if you do not want to wait a year).

John Millar made the slug that is being used by Tom in the Fauneta loadings.

I disassembled a Eley 20 bore paradox round and have the weight of the chopped cordite recorded, but not in hand at the moment. It looked exactly like this; http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278863284#PIC

Very nice find.

CC

Contact Us NitroExpress.com