9.3x57
(.450 member)
16/01/12 06:43 PM
Re: Lion shot with Paradox

Quote:

Quote:

Nitro, you can parse the terms all you want.

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

Good grief, there's big enough hunting country for you there in Australia to know the difference between a true fair chase hunt and a duck shoot in a bucket.

Lions in a cage or plains game in a high fenced ranch is a mere few steps apart.

Anyone who has done both certainly knows it's true, and anyone who's done one or the other that can walk and chew gum at the same time has enough smarts to infer the same.

Rod,

I'm more into personal experience. Can you relate your South African hunts and how they were done, free range or fenced or whatever, for all our enlightenment?

I'll stick to my earlier comment "Rubbish", I don't think you know what you are talking about, nor even how to define the words, 'canned', 'non fair chase" etc.

Sure;

I lived in RSA for a time in the late '80's. I've hunted on ranches {not high fenced} in northern Zululand and also on a high fenced ranch near Umfolozi Game Reserve. I also hunted in the Karkloof Mountains "out my back door" so-to-speak.

I'm also a Life Member of the Kwazulu-Natal Hunting and Conservation Association so I try to keep pretty well up to speed with the goings on elsewhere in that Province and to a lesser degree throughout the country. It's been years, but I travelled pretty much the length and breadth of the country when I put 5,000 KM on a rental car, visiting quite a variety of ranches that offered a variety of hunts.

In addition, I spent a summer in then-Zaïre in 1980. Not game rich country by any means, but there were some buffalo and a very few elephant in some of the areas I was in. And duiker and the like.

Here, the locals laugh at those who hunt behind fences, and my friends who own a ranch in Texas understand why. A 130 class whitetail shot in the woods in north Idaho is a far sight better a trophy than a 170 class ranch deer down there. Yes, true enough, you would get laughed out of Drifters for playing with your silly words "canned" and "non-fair chase" as if any of those who actually hunt here care what you think the difference is. We don't, as it's all the same to us. Just stating the facts. Parse the words as you wish.

For myself, I see no moral difference in shoving the barrel of your favorite Nitro double thru a gate of the cage and up the arse of a lion and yanking the trigger and killing one under "fair chase" conditions. Ethics may come into play, and certainly law, but not "morals". In fact, from my perspective, I couldn't care less if you did it to the last lion on earth. To me they are more or less vermin and the more moral thing to do in many places is to kill them with whatever chemical toxicant is cheapest, most available and effective tho if you want them around, your point in a previous less insulting post was correct; penned and caged lion may in fact be the life blood of future "wild" {define it as you wish} lion populations.

As far as killing plains game behind fences or inside the wire in Texas, I have no particular problem with it for somebody else. Having done it, to be frank, I feel a little embarassed. Not saying there is no place on earth where such hunting isn't a guaranteed thing, just saying that most places it is.

I suppose we have all done things we are not entirely proud of, and truthfully, some of the past hunts I was on in RSA sort of fall into that category in spite of the fact that you might see things differently. That's fine, and I certainly wish the industry no ill, tho I no longer have much interest in it myself.

I've also hunted in New Jersey, Indiana, Michigan, Alabama, Kentucky, Washington, California, Illinois and of course here in Idaho. And chased some birds on an estate in Skåne, Sweden.

If you are ever in the area, feel free to stop by. We can hunt whatever is in season. Bring an oxygen tank if you want to keep up with me. You'll damn sure need it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com