CommandCar
(.333 member)
14/01/12 03:26 PM
Re: Lion shot with Paradox

Quote:

I sent SB three different paradox style bullets, two in the 770gr range and the 860gr ( I didn't have these molds in 2004). I was surprised when I found out they had settled on the 860gr bullet. I don't know if it was because it was the only bullet that would easily regulate in the heavy gun or it was at the wishes of the Nowatny's owner who supplied me with the 860gr mold. There was a subsequent hunt where the gun/cartridge combo was used on elephant, in that case I really think the added velocity of the standard Super Magnum Explora cartridge would have been useful.
I know the paradox drilling was for sale at Hallowells for quite some time but also somewhat mis described. I don't remember it as being scoped at that time either. The gun has 2 3/4" 12 bore chambers if original don't you believe it had to have been for some magnum loading?
Did it have fairly standard looking 7 groove paradox chokes?

Alot has happened in the last 5 years. Obviously, SB needed to get the barrels moving to regulate, so he went heavy. I think going a little faster might have been the better choice. As we know from the new Paradox book, there were many different power levels for paradox type guns. The Nowotny is so special, it clearly could have been a one-off, with ammunition made just for it. My Wm. Evans has 2 3/4" chambers, maybe original-maybe not, but I believe the bores at .736 are original for this 1926 gun. The Evans is marked as a 28 grian cordite gun, so it is in between the standard and heavy standard nitro Holland guns (both 2 1/2"). I have read or heard that the later paradox type guns had 2 3/4" chambers despite the cordite charge. I know for a fact some of the Hollands SB loads for in his last Paradox article have 2 3/4" chambers despite his load development with 2 1/2" shells.

If I recall correctly, the Nowotny had standard late 7 groove type paradox chokes. The problem with my recollection is that there was a mint Hoffman paradox in Morris's gun vault the last time I was there. That vision dominates my memory. For what it's worth, I don't recall either having 9 groove rifling.

The faster loads (blue dot) were developed by TA, friend of SB, fairly recently, so the technology might not have been there for the Nowotny.

Apparently the Nowotny now has fresh shot bores, factory fresh original as described by the seller. So I guess they have been touched up....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com