DarylS
(.700 member)
30/05/11 03:50 AM
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges

Quote:

I am very interested in this numbers!
Would you kindly check this thread: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=109972&an=0&page=0#Post109972
In this thread I am puzzled about the low powder loads and resulting low velocities used in the "Germanic system".
You are using a powder : bullet ratio of ca. 1 : 3 up to 1 : 2.
Such heavy loads were also used in American plains rifles.
A German book of 1877 recommended a ratio between 1 : 7 and 1 : 6.

Fuhrmann

Perhaps I can help.

Original round ball (pre-bullet) Jaegers have been measured with rifling twists as fast as one turn in 24". Seems 28" and 30" is quite popular and normal. These fast twists will not allow the powder charges Steve talked about. Steve is talking about twists of 56" (Getz), 66" (Rice) to as slow at 80"(GM) in normal RB barrels made in the States today. Indeed, Ed Rayle will make any twist you want - even at or over 100".

The charges he noted, will give a round ball a point blank range, where the ball is neither more than 3" above nor below the line of sight, of up to 135yards. This is a splendid thing, when shooting across unknown ranges, like a meadow in the bush or across a logging slash, or prairie, where NE members like DPhar hunt.

To have a limit of accurate hitting of a mere 75 yards, one might as well be shooting a flintlock 20 bore smoothbore, loaded with 3 or 4 drams of 2F like I use in mine.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com