DarylS
(.700 member)
08/12/10 02:34 AM
Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project

I know some of the guys have loaded up smokeless or black powder (me included) in 12's with round balls to carry along for moose when we're duck hunting - stranger things have happened. Go duck hunting and come home with 700 pounds of real meat.

Some of the muzzleloading guys have likewise loaded one tube of their 12 bore side by sides with a plastic wad containing a 20 bore round ball. I'd prefer a 12 bore RB myself but they lacked the larger moulds.

I have a double bl. hammer 16 bore Husky - the rifle barrel of which is straight rifled, with a .704" groove diameter, .675" bore diameter. Thus, it is 15 bore on the lands, 13 bore in the grooves. Both tubes are chambered 16 bore- the left for paper or now, plastic. The right is the same chamber, meant for brass - due to their thinner construction, will carry a ball up to .704" in diameter - yet are identical to the neomal 16 bore chamber. The brss cases fit perfectly in either bore, but were normally used with black powder & round ball in the right chamber, while paper ctg. and either nitro or black powder with shot in the left tube.

The chambers are actually 2 5/8", not 2 3/4" nor 2 1/2".

I use a 2.4" brass 16 bore case, with large pistol primer, 3drams 2F (82gr.), 1/2" 14 bore fiber wad, heavy denim (12oz. ie: 030") patched 16 bore ball, which weighs 1oz. ie: 16 to the pound in pure lead. The left barrel gets plastics. The chambers are exactly .090" shorter than the plastic factory 16 gauge Fed. hulls which should not be fired in the shorter chambers - but, I do and they pattern beautifully even & tight modified with 1oz 6's. The left barrel is choked Mod. The right barrel (no choke, straight rifled) actually shoots better than cylinder at 28 yards. Gun was made in 1899 or 1900. As I shoot the ammo off, I am triming the hulls for future loading with shot.

The round balls shoot into about 2" at 30 yards & would be OK for moose, elk, deer, B.bear at close range, out to about 75 or 80 yards.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com