DarylS
(.700 member)
25/10/10 02:56 AM
Re: WR LT-Capped

I agree with Gatsby on the ballistics.

I know what I can and have done with large round balls from rifles at longer than 'normal' ranges. I am tallking about 200 and 300 yard shooting.

Now, if it's possible to match those round ball velocities with an improved ballistic shape, ie: the Explora and it indeed seems to be; then, if accurate enough, they would certainly have the power at those ranges - the round ball does.

I'm not talking foot pounds of energy, pounds feet or momentum or any other conceived idea that shows benefit to a particular projectile. I'm talking about real world results. Forsyth himself put a 14 bore ball through both shoulders of a Sambar Stag at 250 yards with a 1,250fps load (mv). Good enough for me (except I use a 1,550fps load for moose - it staggers them).

As to accuracy, I've not done better than a foot (12") at 300 yards, however last 6 shot group at 200, was 1 1/4" X 3 1/2". I was happy with that. Bench, of course. I have my sitting and offhand targets - need more practise, but every one of the 10 shots from those positions was a kill shot on a moose.

Given a proper load, proper rifling twist for that load, there is no reason a 730gr. slug from a 12 bore would not do better.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com