CommandCar
(.333 member)
24/10/10 04:04 AM
Re: LT Cap projectiles

Quote:

The nose-cone of that LT bullet isn't very difficult to manufacture, about the same as a typical sweater or cape button. With the right machine and tooling they can be spit out by the thousands.
They would be quite 'classy' in brass alloy.

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker,

Evidence suggests the nose-cones were spun. Normally this is done over a mandrel, I think in this case they used an concave recess cut to the outside dimensions of the finished cap? The tool would push the sheet brass disk into this form die in such a way that the cap was conformed to the inside of the die. A rabit was then cut into inside of the base of the cone to thin the brass and create a depth control to recieve the top-hat brass base. Some sort of ejection system would push out the finished cap?

The top-hat brass base was stamped out. This was inserted into the rabit on the cone and the base of the cone was then rolled over (crimped) the top-hat, locking it in place. At this point, or somewhere else along the way the nose-cap was annealed, probabally to a dead-soft condition. The lead cup was then swedged over the top-hat? In disection of original LT capped bullets, it seems there was some sort of spotty bond (cold) between the lead and the brass alloy front.

Original performance claimed by Westley Richards IMO is highly suspect. I say this b/c with modern game laws, the slug gun is necessary in many regions. If the LT's viable at 2-300 yard it seems someone would be punching out something similar in the correct diameter to run thru the plethora of rifled slug guns out there today. I know of no-one claiming even 200 yard slugs for deer size game.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com