Otony
(.224 member)
14/04/10 02:30 PM
Re: I drank the kool-ade!

The Gunmaker's Fair is for builders of muzzleloaders, and those folks interested in muzzleloaders (don't have to be a builder in other words).

Ron Scott is the brainchild. PM me and I will put you in touch with him.

Usually about 30 or so folks in attendance. Held in a barn/workshop. Nothing fancy in terms of ambiance, but the fellows doing the various presentations are pretty serious about their art. I have seen some top notch work along with one or two eyebrow raisers!

I wanted to add a note about the Sauer I purchased. Simpson Ltd. has a fair number of them, along with an incredible variety of other European doubles, most brought over from Sweden as a result of their unfortunate taxation laws. As you might imagine, there is a wide choice of Husqvarnas, along with offerings from France, Spain, Belgium, and Germany. Maybe an Italian gun or two as well.

My Sauer is mechanically perfect and worn cosmetically. Everything functions, right down to the cocking indicators (nice touch for a gun that might see action I suppose). The stock needs to be refinished, as does the metal but I will likely worry about just the wood.

The price for this fine smoothbore? $267 shipped. That is correct. Tight, on the face, side clips, double triggers, blah-blah, woof-woof. From my perusals of the double gun builders forum, it would appear that this is a more than decent candidate for conversion to a double rifle. Just a heads up.

While I love and own fine firearms, I am not opposed to a utility gun, especially one that is just an older, finish worn, decent quality piece. I will doll it up a bit, but prefer to leave it alone for the most part so as to really get some use out of it. Turning it into a silk purse won't encourage me to tote it in the woods, just the opposite. The wear is real, and it's potential very, very high.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com