DarylS
(.700 member)
30/03/09 12:15 PM
Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project

You could conceivably screw normal lubed fibre wads to the slug. I was going to call it a bullet, but couldn't.

It is in an iteresting idea - however - switch to round balls and gain a world of accuracy and complete penetration of an India Elephant's head - with straight line penetration. Anything that can turn, will on hitting something. If it turns, it will glance and follow the soft parts of the body, not smashing the bones as it goes - this is extropolation gleamed from the Surgeon's reports from the Crimean war, and they weren't shooting dangerous game, but people.

Yes, in all profiles this slug is blunt - but it has corners and I would not trust it. If attached to enough wads to keep it end-on, then it would be a smasher for sure - stabilityof some sort is key, I believe.

Round balls from my 12 bore, 26" tubes and open iron sights, would cut a single hole, about 1 1/4" in diameter at 25 yards. That, my friends, is accuracy. What I see above is not good enough for me. Slapping a bear on the eye-brow, bouncing it off his crown or punching him in the nose or lower jaw may only make him more determined. Accuracy is needed and these slugs and loads lack that very important aspect. Yes - theya re pretty cool and a good idea, BUT - too many problems for me.

Huvius - I'm sorry I missed your thread last year & would certianly commented and tried with help with the addition of suggusting the lubed wad attachment.

Now - the reason for the lubed wads. Lube wads from Track of the Wolf . com - are hard and can be drilled. As fibre wads today are usually donaconna, any form of abuse, such as attempted dripping, usually tears them. Lubed, they can be drilled. I would attach a 1/8" hard card, then the lubed wad, then hard card, then the slug into a 1 piece unit for initial testing. I'd use a #6 sheet metal screw and if necessary, a thin washer underneath the base card. This system will give an additonal small amount of weight - easily adjusted for with powder charge.

Be aware, black powder loads have 'some' recoil. If real BP is used in the 5 1/2 to 7 dram range in 2 3/4" hulls will give upwards of 1,350fps to 1,550fps.

Again to be effective for close range 'stopping', the load must hit the right spot with sufficient penetration - glancing wounds won't work.

At 50 yards, you should be able to hold a 2 1/2" to 4" group and at a full 100yards, 8" to 10". Round balls will give this accuracy - slugs rarely do - from a smoothbore. Hard cast round balls (WW) or heat treated WW can give penetration that must be seen to be believed.

I know a 50gallon fuel drum is not 1/2" of steel, but a straight WW ball, if driven to 1,400fps, will go in one side and out the other. That velocity is easy from a 2 3/4" hull, and more from a 3", of course.

A double 12 bore, with express sights - is a wonderful choice, Hansol - I just wish it showed better accuracy.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com