Marrakai
(.416 member)
28/02/09 03:09 PM
Re: 12-bore 2.5" fully rifled 10lb 2oz-should have posted here!

Quote:

Ok I have to ask this then; what could she be used for with a 600gr ball at 1500 fps???

Just about anything, I imagine!!
With 'standard' soft lead ~1:20 alloy, great for large plains game or equivalent.
With properly hardened lead, all of the big five if history is any judge.

Quote:

At short range is the 577 still king of the hill Tony?

Much of a muchness I reckon. Energy-wise, however, the 'historical' 5-dram spherical 12-bore produces a bit over 3000 ftlbs ME,
while the .577 in 'standard' N-for-B loading coughs up almost 4000 ftlbs.
Bullet weight is more than 100 grains heavier, too. That's a no-brainer IMHO, despite the experiences of the long-dead quoted above.
The 12-bore has greater cross-sectional area though, so would probably have a perceived advantage at 'in-your-face' distances,
and in heavier loads (requiring heavier rifles!) it will overtake the .577 at some point.
Personally, I love them both!

Quote:

A Tolley chart from the 1880s listed 1300fps for a 5 dram load and roundball, but it took almost 1500fps to uncross with Blue Dot

This highlights a problem with spherical ball in N-for-B loads. As Daryl implies, the smokeless powder loads may produce insufficient recoil to regulate a double.
With conicals, the bullet weight was simply increased to compensate, but with sphericals this is impossible.
Increasing the smokeless powder charge simply increases velocity, which might just make them cross more!
...up to the point where pressure becomes dangerous!

Quote:

'modern' black powder (especially Goex!) is around 10 percent less 'powerful' than the original stuff....
How about different brands of substitute?

Definitely can make a difference. Swiss seems to be much better than Goex according to others,
also Seyfried used a powder ~10 years ago which practically matched Curtis's & Harvey's No.6, but it became unavailable in the US soon after.
He published several stories implicating that powder in the BP Hunter magazine at the time, anyone remember it?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com