jaz
(.300 member)
24/10/08 01:03 PM
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle

Bramble
No disrespect felt here. We need to gain knowledge,
I believe the reason that the case colors are so vivid is that there is a very heavy coating of laquer on all the areas that show intense color. On the places where it is worn through as on the side of the breech, the color is worn through, not removed, down almost to fine pitting. You can not reproduce that wear. The location of wear is also on the top strap and on the side of the action where your hand holds the gun. It is a great piece.The best part is the Damascus barrels to me.

Regarding the stock, it may have been refinished at one time but who knows, but more so, who cares?. The rifle is over 120 years old, if it was redone 80 years ago that would be 1928! I chuckle when people comment" too bad the barrels were re-blacked". It was normal to have them re-blacked every 5 to 10 years or as needed. Suppose a game gun built in 1928 was reblacked every 5 years for twenty years then it sat for another 60 years, these same comment how original the barrels look.

Ball guns are very unique. They were built lighter than rifles and at close hand did as good as a fully rifled gun, but 3-4 lbs. less. Accuracy is excellent to 60 yards. Elephant are usually shot within 40 yards. You could also poor a handful of shot into it and shoot effectively.

Regarding speculating on the price, I'd rather not, as I do not know what Jack wants for the gun. How many Holland 8's do you see? Micks is altered. There is a real re-do in Australia and that one is 27,000, but you can't send it back. The last 8 Holland I saw sell in the States was low 40's. In today's market I see 450/400 Jeffrey's with the cartoon engraving selling for the mid 20's. 6 years ago Don at Cape Outfitters had a dozen of these that could be had for $4-6,000. Money in he stock market is falling, buy quality English guns and you never lose.

JAZ

Contact Us NitroExpress.com