tinker
(.416 member)
17/09/08 08:34 AM
Re: Purdey 20b SxS Rifle, Pinfire

Time for another quick snapshot here...

Got my little 3yr old daughter out for her first day at school today - great stuff in itself!
As she'd only a couple hours of class and her school is on the way to the ranch, I stuffed the Purdey in the wagon and slipped out there after dropping her off with her teacher.

I had finished up the crimping die (flip side of the swaging die) and also made a shell holder for the special pinfire cases for this rifle in between being Dad and doing classwork these last couple of weeks, got the ball mould finished up and lapped to my satisfaction, and was prepared with six loaded pieces of ammunition.
I wanted to see how she'd do with a set of identically loaded rounds, made from identically produced components.

This target printed from an unsupported standing field hunting position at 31 yards (standing well behind the benches at our 25yd board), POI was center of the underside of the blank card.
The weather condition wouldn't permit use of the chronograph. (constantly changing light - and passing rain from patches of sunny sky - talk about earthquake weather !)

Note there are five holes.
The sixth (actually second) ball went into the target frame as a total set-trigger blunder on the way to the target.
I very much need to get more 'trigger-time' on this rifle.
Today's dash to the ranch was more of a test-run of the reloading components and the Swiss 1-1/2F powder.
The good news is that the cartridge cases and ball perform beautifully. Gas seal was excellent, consistency was excellent, extraction was a breeze, and the rifle handled and sounded great!

And it shoots!!!

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com