tinker
(.416 member)
01/09/08 03:11 AM
Re: Purdey 20b SxS Rifle, Pinfire

Lancaster-

Thanks for the comment and photograph.
Later today I will get some images up of the brass cases I've swaged and modified from Magtech 20b central fire brass.
I'll also try to get out to the machine shop and finish up my swaging die and get a couple images of it too.

Along with those I'll snap some shots of some variations of cases I've done for the sixteen bore rifles and my 'cup wad' (umbrella card for over the powder) punch and die set.

On Purdey's conical for the period, Unsworth's book The Early Purdeys features a series of photographs of a 20b SxS pinfire rifle from 1865. That rifle is shown with it's case and tooling, including a hollow-point bullet mould. Although there are a couple of images of the mould, there is no detail on the shape of the cavity, nor is there comment or image of a cast bullet or it's specifics (weight, diameter, exact configruation...)

I plan to write Mr Unsworth some time soon to tell him of the existence of this rifle and send him some images of it, also to ask if he can get me in touch with the owner of that other 20b Pinfire rifle so that I can either see the mould and/or get a couple of bullets thrown from it for examination.
That would be ideal.
Judging from images I've seen of other Purdey conicals from the period, I expect the bullet to have more of an acorn shape to the nose than the round 'cats head' design seen in our discussion on bore rifle and paradox cartridges.
We shall see.

Again, thanks for your input.

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com