Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
21/07/08 11:47 AM
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g

Fuhrmann, I'm also one of the Luddites who likes to hunt with bore guns. In April I shot an elephant at 70yds with a 4-bore 1965 grain conical leaving the muzzle at a sedate 1125fps. Impact velocity probably was less than 1000fps, but it went through 4 feet of elephant and was against the skin on the far side (bullet on right, the left was a shot up into his chest when on the ground). I'd considered using roundballs but decided to go with the extra weight of a conical vs the higher velocity of a ball, but I'm sure it would have done just as well.

I also shot a zebra with a 700gn round ball from an 1870's Tolley 10 bore at 1280fps MV at 80 yards and it went straight through. My shot placement was too high and he took off, but there was blood sprayed all over the grass from the exit. I'm going to use the same gun with 140gn FFFg and roundballs next month for moose, and if I'm lucky, griz in October. Daryl has made a believer out of me when it comes to the power of these big, 'slow' bullets that just keep going. They perform far out of propotion to what their Ft-lbs of energy numbers suggest.

[image][/image]

Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com