lancaster
(.470 member)
18/07/08 10:25 PM
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges

beleg2 send me a PM
"Beg your pardon, I would like to know a little more about the way you resized Minie bullets from .585 to .605. i have a .577 Snider double rifle and I have try some bullets without success.
As I have a Minie mold Im very interested in you method.
Also, Have you try it on R.E.A.L bullets?

Thanks "

its possible, I leave once the house to buy a snider and come home with a bore rifle. was thinking that the .585 minie bullet will work in the .605 barrel but it work not great. a bore sized bullet is allways the best. when the military adopt the various muzzle loader conversions after 1864/1866 they also use the large stock of minie bullets for loading cartridges.found the hammer swage die in Graeme Wrigth "shooting the british double rifle". he describe the making of .516 lead bullets from .458 cast and I was think that this goes for me. the hammer swage die set is simple and easy to made on a lathe. you have the massive die body, a nose forming punch and a base punch. the die bode have simply a hole with your needed diameter. the base punch have this outside dia. and is plain on the base or like i need for minie's conical. the nose forming punch can have any design you like: plain, round or hollow nose like mine. it will work also with a real bullet with another base punch if you dont increase the diameter to much.this is the way to use inexpensive mold's in common caliber to make bullet for your special bore.

" then when the die set assembled it is stoody vertically on a hard surface and the base punch is rapped a few times with a heavy hammer. its easy to feel when the the bullet expanded"

cast bulled, lubed, swaged, swaged without lube
its necessary to lube the bullet before because the swaging process will fill the grease groove's without. lead under pressure will flow like water.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com