lancaster
(.470 member)
13/07/08 04:11 PM
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges

Quote:

Quote:

called here spitzer bullet for hunting rifles its in fact a round nose lead bullet, the so nick named "cats head bullet" for such bore guns.

will translate: "very recommand for paradox rifle's, also for such gun's with straigth rifling. (?????)
to use in smooth bore's(?????), not in choked bore barrel's.
when make an order saying if its for paper or brass cases"

not clear what this old catalog is meaning with straigth rifling and smooth bore and such a common round nose bullet, maybe it works at 25 meter.

I see the same illustration and text in a 1910 Burgsmüller catalog.
Your translation from german is correct.
This bullet may have been intended for rifled barrels (gauge or Lancaster cartridges) but could also be used in smoothbore shotgun barrels. Paradox rifling was OK, but no choked muzzles.
Straight rifling is sometimes seen in muzzleloaders: I do not know the real purpose for this, one speculation is to ease loading of fouled barrels. I have an article somewhere about Husqvarna breech action cape guns - the shotgun barrel was also available with straight rifling.

About ballistics of gauge or Lancaster cartridges: muzzle velocity must have been around 300 m/s. In a book from 1877 (Zimmer, Die Jagd-Feuergewehre) it is recommended to sight in rifles at the distance of 60 meters, regardless if muzzleloader or breech action.

Fuhrmann

yes, its my understanding that every other bullet design than a roundball fired without a spin will keyholing when it leave the barrel. straigth rifling will not change this,it's physics, the only thing straigth rifling will do is to give higher pressure. smooth barrels give lower pressure with slug's than with shotloads.
maybe there was some kind of "magic" thinking about straight rifling around in this days. a point most time's overlocked. and dont forget that not everything is rigth because it's to find in period books. they have making the same kind's of error's like we do.
muzzle velocity's and energy's are the same the guy's were knowing from the muzzle loader before. that make them surprise about the flat shoting 11 mm /.45 cartridges that come in use after 1870.
nobody have ever dream of such ballistic before.

will be continued

Contact Us NitroExpress.com