8borerifle
(.275 member)
02/07/08 03:44 AM
Re: J&W Tolley 10 Bore for sale

Big Sarge, I bought my first 8-bore rifle (top lever W W Greener) in 1971 for $750.00. I owned that rifle 3 different times! plus having owned 6 other 8-bores over the years. I could never afford more than 1 at a time, and that was a stretch for me. They are fun to shoot! I have been hurt much worse by a .458 Model 70. Not as much recoil, but a lot sharper. I got away from the 8 bores because of the weight. 14 to 18 lbs is a lot to hold steady. I went to the .360 - .577 express double rifles. You can get a super underlever hammer blackpowder express fully engraved for half the price of an 8 bore. The workmanship on these 1870 - 1900 express rifles is unbelievable. You might want to consider one of those. Roland Hueber in Gilmanton, NH is probably the best authority on 8-bore rifles in the US. I found out over the years that there are very few people in this country that are interested in the 8's and 4's. It is just recently that the values have gone way up. If I can help you, please let me know, I will do what I can.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com