tinker
(.416 member)
25/06/08 01:57 PM
Re: Austrian 28 guage SxS Bore Gun

David-

Sounds great so far.
Take a measurement of your rifling twist too while you're at it if you can.

If you have telescoping inside gages and a micrometer, get in there and measure the ID of your chamber up at the the origin of rifling, and back at the case head just shy of the rim.

You want to make double darn sure of these measurements, and double check your work along the way.

With the cerrosafe casting, I have a couple of tips for you.

Get two big cauldrons of water boiling. One for your funnel, your ladle, and *The Chamber Ends Of Your Barrels*
The other for your double boiler for the casting alloy.
This will get your barrels up to (the -in all realworld terms very low- temperature) boiling point of your water.
What this does is makes sure you're not cooling the cerrosafe on it's way into your chambers causing a striated or layered effect on the final casting.

The other tip is to get your paper towel or cloth packing material an inch or so back into the bores so that you get a good picture of forcing cone/leade/origin of rifling along with the chamber cast.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.
I'm very much enthusiastic about your nice rifle here and am equally enthusiastic about rallying support from our fellow members (like gatsby) in the effort of getting you into the starting path towards load development.

Also, please get us some images of that 28b paradox mould you speak of!

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com