Longknife
(.333 member)
01/05/08 12:23 AM
Re: Another ? for Daryl

Thanks Daryl, I checked with Bill Moody and he said he could not fit a set of doubles in his rifling bench. I will call a few others, Getz, Rayl, and check with them too. I have been wanting to get that book by Steve Bookout and build a rifling bench but I have also been reading the threads on the ALR about rifling barrels. I guess I could get a barrel, like you said and use it as a guide. The gun I am going to use is an old belgium double. I got it at a gun show years ago. Really in excellent mechanical shape. but a little beat up on the outside. I was never shot much because the barrels were mis-aligned, one was almost 1/8 inch higher than the other at the muzzle. I cut them back to 22 inches and they were not so bad there. I luckily cut right at the weld (yep they were welded) that holds them together. I plan on unsoldering the ribs, regulate them and resoldering. I have heard about the horrors of trying to regulate a pair of barrels. Why couldn't I use one of those "bore sighters with the laser light?? Just clamp the barrels to a flat piece of steel,insert laser sighter, regulate with wedges, shims etc. and reweld and solder???? Ever tried this??HMMMMM, Thanks for your input, Ed

P.S. Do you think these 22 inch barrels are long enough to burn 191 grs. of powder????

Contact Us NitroExpress.com