CowboyCS
(.333 member)
22/05/10 01:11 PM
2 Bore Jones Underlever Black Powder Cartridge Rifle

It's been a long journey building this rifle but it is finally finished. If you'd like to read about the whole build from start to finish it's all documented on my website here: 2 Bore Jones Underlever Page 1

The specifications:

* Caliber: 2 Bore (1.325" groove diameter)
* Action: Left hand Jones Rotary Underlever w/Back action hammer lock and extractor
* Barrel: 28" long (1:48 twist) w/ Quarterrib and ramped front sight base.
* Weight: 22 Pounds 3 Ounces w/ 3-13ounce mercury recoil reducers
* Length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel and style of stock were all built to the customers specification.
* Stock: Sugar Maple w/ ebony forearm tip, stained to customers specifications, oil finished, and carnuba waxed.
* Checkering: 20 Line Per Inch Semi-flattop, borderless.
* Finish: Action, Underlever, Triggerguard, Grip Cap, Back action lock, Off-side plate, and escheutons are Color Case Hardened, the monoblock and barrel are rust blued, the screws are nitre blued.
* Recoil Pad: Pachmayr Decelerator
* Sights: Rear - NECG Multi-leaf Express Sight, Front - Stolzer and Son's Partial Silver Caterpillar.
* Cartridges: S&H 2 Bore Black powder express 3.5" 700gr FFg, Jeff Tanner Custom Ball Mould, 1.325" 3500gr, Arsenal Primers.
* The Rotary Underlever acts to the right, at the request of the Customer, all other functions are left handed.
* Engraving is a custom pattern by Stolzer and Son's in traditional broad acanthus leaves.

The only thing remaining to do on this rifle is develop a load, file and blue the rear sight. I'll try to get videos posted of me shooting it when I do some of the sight in work.

Colin 2 Bore Jones Underlever Page 1

Ben
(.400 member)
22/05/10 05:22 PM
Re: 2 Bore Jones Underlever Black Powder Cartridge Rifle

Awesome! Have fun with that!

lancaster
(.470 member)
22/05/10 07:02 PM

great work!

DarylS
(.700 member)
22/05/10 10:26 PM

Totaly awesome - I noticed the sights haven't been filed in - now THAT should be fun - or not.

I am curious as to why the ball is .1" smaller than the groove diameter.

In my 16 bore ctg. gun with straight rifling, I found cloth patching an undersized ball gave better accuracy than a groove diameter ball. As well, being able to use a black powder lube on the patch kept the fouling soft so it never built up in the grooves and the gun shot clean between shots. Never more than one shot's fouling there.

That is a beautiful gun - awe-inspiring is closer.

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
22/05/10 10:39 PM

Thank You all for the compliments.

Daryl, that was a typo, I fixed it it should have said 1.325". I'm only sighting in the fixed blade, the other leafs are up to the customer.

Colin

500grains
(.416 member)
22/05/10 10:51 PM

That is a wonderful project. Have you calculated the recoil energy and recoil velocity?

Please let us know when you pull the trigger and what it feels like.

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
23/05/10 12:27 AM

Thank You. I haven't run the numbers on it, until I put a few across the chronograph it's really all just best guess. I can say that this one shouldn't be all that bad(relative term), because the customer spec'd it for a 350gr FFg charge for the fixed sight. The 2 Bore Muzzleloader I built last year I shot at 500gr FFg and that was all I could handle.

Colin

DarylS
(.700 member)
23/05/10 04:43 AM

Colin- you did an exemplary job on this one - too. I do prefer the British styling. It looks very much like the punt gun in Greener's book. Wonderful!
The only negative I can see, is one of personal taste. I would have preferred slightly rounded sides at the breech or a shorter octagonal section. Just the same, it's beautiful.
Congratulations on a job well done. Guess BigDog is going to have to buy this one, too, to match his other two, 2 bores - or is he already the new 'owner'?

12.8 drams is a fairly light load, I guess. What did it chrongraph?

Hey Bigdog - any comments?

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
23/05/10 05:07 AM

Thank You. These things are tough to scale up and still keep them looking graceful and keep them small enough in the grips to be usable by the average person. Lots of mechanics and ergonomics to work out.

This one is already going to a customer when I get back from the NMLRA shoot next month, I was commissioned right from the start of this one. Bigdoggy is in line for Number 2, and I have his barrel sitting in my shop already.

I haven't shot this one yet, it might be a week or two before I have anything to report on shooting it, I'm busy with a bunch of local stuff in our county that is going on and I'm trying to get ready for the NMLRA in a couple weeks. The 2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader I built last year Chrono'd out at around 1300fps, at the 500gr load, but it was undersized(1.275" smoothbore) shooting 1.255" patched WW balls.

I have a thread over on ARForums in the big bore section that Bigdoggy has been commenting in.

Colin

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/05/10 02:10 AM

tks Colin

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
30/06/10 04:21 AM

I finally got out and shot it today, I put three shots through with a 300gr Goex FFg charge. My camera decided not to cooperate so I only got the first shot on video. It is shooting nice though about 6" high at 25 yards, with touching groups, so that leaves a lot of room to play with the load and file the sight in for 50 yards.

What everyone really wants to see though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqMCETeO_BU
I can shoot left handed but I am right eye dominate and prefer to do my sight work shooting right handed. That might have been a mistake though since it left it's impression on me after 3 shots and now it will be a week before I can shoot it again. This picture was taken before it started to turn purple....it looks even uglier now.

Colin

szihn
(.400 member)
30/06/10 05:29 AM

Everyone has probably heard for twins and sometimes close friends that are so much alike that when one feels pain so does the other?
This can happen even when the one is in another state or even another country.
When great trauma harms one, the other one feels its effect, as if it happened to them.

Well, I checked my shoulder.

Nothing!
Doesn't hurt a bit.

I hope you feel my comfort Colin.

Your good friend,
Steve.

(p s, I am proud of you.
Take a 5 minute break!)

nitro450exp
(.333 member)
30/06/10 06:43 AM

Cowboy

Now I know why my neck was aching all day long,
Sympathy pains !
Would love to see the target.

Thanks
For the free entertainment, love it.

Cheers Nitro

Ben
(.400 member)
30/06/10 08:36 AM

Cool! Thanks for sharing that.

Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
30/06/10 11:17 AM

Colin, I feel your pain!

You're absolutely right, of course, it looks much worse a day or two later.

Here's me after doing load development with a 4-bore and BP. I don't do that anymore!!!

Best of luck with this excellent project and many thanks for sharing your talent and efforts along the way.

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
30/06/10 11:13 PM

Steve,
How kind and generous of you to comfort me, and wow a 5 minute break...I'm shocked...I would have expected you to tell me to suck it up and "get back to work." LOL

I'll post pictures of the targets when the load development and sights are finalized.

Omnivorous_Bob, I had a 4 Bore do that to me a few years back, as a matter of fact it was one that szihn built back when I was apprenticing under him. Mine doesn't look quite that bad today, just two spots about the size of silver dollars that turned purple.

Colin

DarylS
(.700 member)
01/07/10 01:04 AM

Way to go - looks like fun - for someone else.

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
09/07/10 10:31 AM

I was having a bit of trouble with the CCI#35 Arsenal Primers(50 BMG primers), I wasn't getting the type of reliable ignition I wanted from them due to the angle of the firing pin and how hard the Arsenal Primers are compared to other types of primers. So I turned a couple of bushings and sleeved the primer pockets to accept 209 Shotgun Primers. Problem solved....other than now I have to turn a bunch more for all the rest of the brass my customer has already purchased. I have already spoken with S&H and the next batch of brass I order from them will come already set-up the way I want, so no problem in the future, I just have to order Minimum quantities from him. It's nice to have a supplier that is willing to work with me on this stuff.

Here's the latest video of me shooting it, just a couple of shots in a row with a picture of the target this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMEXxW-Se5w

A little bit of final polishing and then a little bit of bluing and the rear sight(whole rifle) is finished and ready to ship, other than changing the primer pockets in the remaining pieces of brass. I'll try to remember to post a picture of the wad cutter I made to go with this in the next couple days.

Colin

Ben
(.400 member)
09/07/10 12:44 PM

Nice shooting, Colin.

tinker
(.416 member)
09/07/10 12:50 PM

Oh my.

My oh my.

Colin, you've really gone and done it, haven't you..?

Cheers
Tinker

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/07/10 12:53 AM

Ouch! Good shooting. I doubt my second shot would have hit anywhere close to the first.

That recoil looks similar to the 1960's pictures of guys shooting the 15 pound rifles chambered for the .50 BMG. About the same height of climb and left leg lift.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
10/07/10 04:44 AM

I`ll huff , puff and kaaabooom your house down...Whatta blow. Mr Wolf should buy the Twobore..Pigs on the dinnertable everyday, and no more public humiliation...

GroovyMike
(.300 member)
10/07/10 04:59 AM

And I thought shooting trap with the 8 gauge Wednesday night was fun

nitro450exp
(.333 member)
10/07/10 05:13 AM

Colin

Fabulous work and good shooting.
Congrats.

Nitro

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
10/07/10 05:24 AM

Thanks for all the compliments and comments.

I promised a picture of the wadding(wool felt wad in this case) cutter. This was pretty simple to make, the handle is removable and it has a 1/2" shank if a person wants to run it in a drill press, but it cuts easy enough just by hand. A couple twists back and forth and it goes right through 1" wool felt.

I was also asked to post a picture of the case with a 209 primer in it.

Colin

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/07/10 11:52 PM

Colin - what case did you chamber for? Your own - or 1 1/2" gas gun? 40mm grenade?

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
11/07/10 03:29 AM

2 Bore S&H cases

Colin

DarylS
(.700 member)
11/07/10 11:58 PM

WOW - nothing like a box of gold to empty the bank account. $40.00 each seems a bit steep, but brass rod is expensive and there's lots of boring to do.

Might be a good idea to keep them clean and annealed - but then. how much SHOOTING will a person really do, with such a cannon?

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
12/07/10 11:09 PM

They are pricey, but they are very well made, extremely thick, and given the low pressure of black powder, they aren't likely to get worked very hard. The other thing is, the way I set this up they never have to be resized - the chamber and the loading tool are cut with the same reamer, so once fire formed they will only fit this gun, but they will also never have to be re-sized.

And like you said, how much do you really want to shoot a 22 pound gun that generates more recoil than a 600NE.

Colin

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
06/08/10 12:53 PM

Here's the review my customer gave me after he received his rifle today:
Quote:

The 2 bore Jones cartridge rifle arrived today and it is a magnificent piece of work by Colin. It is basically a work of art that shoots and it depicts old world craftsmanship at its best. In my 60 plus years I have never been more impressed with a firearm. The color casing is right up there with Doug Turnbull and the stock finish and checkering are flawless. The satin rust blue on the barrel and other blued parts are perfect. The rifle even came in a custom built wood shipping crate which would take a considerable amount of effort to damage.

This is the best part of a project.

Colin

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
07/08/10 09:43 PM

Congratulations to a project well done!

Curl

bigdog
(.375 member)
26/09/10 02:27 AM

Collin, thanks for bringing that gun by the house on your way to the show. A truly awesome gun, I really enjoyed drooling on it for a while. Only one problem, I think it would look better with another barrel on the side. Very nice work. You da man!!!

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
05/04/11 02:34 AM

The 2 Bore and a rather unbecoming picture of me in full recoil(and of the cases by S&H) and a very nice write up by Craig Boddington is in the May 2011 issue of Guns and Ammo(Gun Notes page 30,32 and 33).

Many Thanks to Craig and Jay(S&H) and a special thanks to my Customer for starting this project to begin with.

Colin

DarylS
(.700 member)
05/07/12 07:26 AM

Check this out - proofing the barreled action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28p7jBFpcvs&feature=relmfu

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
05/07/12 08:27 AM

I've seen it...that's out behind my shop. You must have been browsing my youtube channel. There's a few other odds and ends of videos there as well.

Colin

nitro450exp
(.333 member)
31/10/12 05:14 AM

New video posted.
Ouch, regulation time.

Nitro.

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
31/10/12 01:42 PM

Yep, I posted a new video in the other 2 Bore Thread of mine.

tinker
(.416 member)
02/11/12 08:26 AM

Keep your aspirin handy!

Cheers
Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com