hoppdoc
(.400 member)
21/11/07 03:47 AM
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE??

I have no problem with what the previous posters have said--

Long range shooting should be avoided unless the situation indicates it will be required to harvest the animal.

Moreso, you can't "buy" enough techno stuff to make you into a good shooter-you have to practice, and frequently.

I feel the shooter should be able to hit a saucer cup(5"-1/3 of a deers chest height-16") or an 8" pie plate(1/3 of an elks chest height-24") at distance before he attempts any similar long range shooting.450 yds is 50% longer than 300, and that is a long ways!!

If a fella wants to practice and become proficient shooting under Perfect conditions he must still have an accurate gun with great components(yes,money CAN buy this part of shooting)--trigger,optimal barrel, and a cartridge with a predictable trajectory.A flat shooting cartridge helps for the first 300 yds.A good scope with a trajectory feature,TDS, Boone/Crockett helps alot.An optilogic rangefinder helps judge "bullet" distance when the target is above or below the horizontal.

All in all I agree that few hunters can shoot out at 300yds, much less further.

Yet there are those with practice who can shoot long distance and hit consistently.

A fella just has to practice and know his limitations.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com