Shackleton
(.300 member)
15/09/07 11:18 AM
Re: BEST BEAR STOPPER-DOUBLE vs SLUGGED SHOTGUN??

I realize that 4-6 shots(depending on pump model) are better than 2, IF you get to use them all. My reasoning behind a double-again, the "right" one-one that puts the holes in the right place and will stand up to hot, hard slugs-is the idea that it would be a life and death issue. It's rare whan the gun's maintained, but I have had pump actions malfunction, whether parts failure or a simple feed jam. All but one case were in old guns that hadn't been maintained properly, bought by me cheaply and fixed after the problems, but there's that slim chance that it could happen in a new gun. I had an action jam shut in a brand new Remington 870 a couple years ago while duck hunting. It onlty happened that once, but I had to disassemble the gun to get the action to open. With a double-trigger SXS you essentially have 2 guns on 1 stock. As long as you don't pull both triggers at once, you'll still have that second shot for a followup.

In an actual hunting situation I'd take a rifle of appropriate caliber over any shotgun but for survival issues I'd still go with the double shotgun-and have some shot loads along as well in case of a "true" survival situation-if lost in unfamiliar forest four or five rounds of No. 4 can keep you from starving to death where a heavy rifle or slug will turn your small game dinner into a stain on the ground.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com