458Win
(.333 member)
29/05/07 12:25 PM
Re: BEST BEAR STOPPER-DOUBLE vs SLUGGED SHOTGUN??

How many charging brown bears have you stopped? You seem to condescend with authority and vast amounts of experience, so please pontificate to us your expertize in this area. We all really want pointers from a true X-pert like you. You point out a 458 Win as your preferred charging bear killer, why? What is your load for this slayer of fast moving Ursus arctos horribilis? Do you favor solids or soft-points and of what brand? Do you aim for the brain or chest? Do you have any photos of these downed bruins you have battled with?

Thank you ever so much for the information,

BS

If I came across as condescending in any way I apologize. I simply was giving my opinion to the question. I don't usually get on this forum as I am seldom near a computor fast enough. Plus I dislike the confrontive attitude displayed by some who do post.
My homestead on the Alaska Peninsula is situated in one of the densest populations of Brown Bears in the state and my clients have taken well over a hundred Brown Bears. I have been forced to shoot quite a few but only a couple have actually come close to getting me. My choice of the 458 is based on a number of factors. I have personally killed big bears with everything from the 30-06 to the 9.3x62, 9.5x62, 375 H&H , 416, 458 and 505 Gibbs. I have used Hornady, Nosler Partitions, GS, Barnes X, Woodleighs, Speer Grand Slams, Swifts, North Forks and Kodiaks.
Although it's not a shot I recommed to clients, my favorite shot is high, directly on the point of the shoulder - if the bear is at all broadside. Even on charging bears I try to break the spine between the shoulders .

Contact Us NitroExpress.com