BlainSmipy
(.375 member)
30/03/07 07:05 AM
Re: BEST BEAR STOPPER-DOUBLE vs SLUGGED SHOTGUN??

Quote:

Except for possibly DPhillips I wonder how many others who answered here have actually dealt with big bears up close, much less had to stop a real charge.
My personal preference for the past twenty five years has been my short 458 Win Mauser bolt rifle but in answer to the original question I would un-hesitantly take a big double rifle over any shotgun. I have used shotguns on black bears but having to face a wounded, charging Brown or Polar Bear with one would scare me to death.

How many charging brown bears have you stopped? You seem to condescend with authority and vast amounts of experience, so please pontificate to us your expertize in this area. We all really want pointers from a true X-pert like you. You point out a 458 Win as your preferred charging bear killer, why? What is your load for this slayer of fast moving Ursus arctos horribilis? Do you favor solids or soft-points and of what brand? Do you aim for the brain or chest? Do you have any photos of these downed bruins you have battled with?

Thank you ever so much for the information,

BS

Contact Us NitroExpress.com