Double_Trouble
(.375 member)
02/12/06 07:59 AM
Re: Any big bears taken with a double?

NitroX:
I agree with Vapodog in that Black Bear is not the greatest trophy animal but we bait for them for the same reason mentioned Vapo,,, the hides look great and we could use another one or two in our hunt camp.

when we hunt moose in Oct and deer Nov, we bait black bear with whatever we have that stinks the most and i mean the stinkier the better.

the two of us that pay most attention to the bait pile and put up the tree stands hunt with either a 30-30, 30-06 or what I normally carry, a 7mm Rem Mag.

we have had the bait pile hit and cleaned right down to the rope holding the rotting carcass of somebodies freezer burned Thanksgiving turkey. we seem to feed the bears more than shoot them as while we are up for moose and or deer, we hunt the way Erik does in europe,using hounds to push the game into blockers hence if one or two of us stay back to sit on the bait and dont go on the drive we leave a hole in the line and it isnt fair to the rest of the group.

to most guys in the camp our efforts of setting up and lugging all that rotting crap into the bush seem worthless but to us, its all part of the fun of getting out and doing something different and who knows we may just get one using the hit and miss method we employ,,, if not its still a laugh dragging that shit out there and occaisionally sitting in the tree stand ( if we get back to camp in time from the driven hunts ) for a while.

next year we are going to use the services of a fellow up by our camp who baits several places within about a 10km radius but only allows archery hunting... so who knows, we just may be able to bag a moose or deer with bow as well while sitting in the stands.

well that my 2 cents worth on the subject

DT

Contact Us NitroExpress.com