Sasquatch
(.224 member)
04/04/06 12:07 AM
Re: Mountain Goat hunting info

Well I have hunted in the Sukunka, Peace River, Kechika, Gataga, Toad and Prophet areas. Lots of good hunting.

Surprisingly though..........there are getting to be a lot of hunters in places I would have never seen another person for weeks at a time 20 years ago. Lakes I use to fly into and have the place to myself, well charter companies have to keep lists and dates to avoid over crowding.

The key to good hunting now, and always has been, the use of horses. You can get to areas that are far from floatplane accessible lakes and rivers with jet boats and beyond the distances most backpack hunters can reasonably go and still expect to pack their game out. Plus you can pack enough stuff to have a comfortable camp and not live like a popper.

Northern BC is still the place to go and will be for some time. Although the Kootenay's and the other southern regions have good goat hunting, if you want a true wilderness experience, you won't get it in the south. With few exceptions, virtually every drainage you can find will have some roads, logging, mining access, etc. The closer you are to Vancouver, Kamloops or any of the other centers, the more hunters you will see.

Outfitters I have known for years in the southern part of the province have had their areas slowly erroded by access and resident demand, to the point where many of those guiding territories are marginally viable. If you are from New York, maybe you would still think it is 'wilderness', but to those of us who have spend many months in true wilderness it is far to busy.

It's progress I guess................an ever increasing population, resource extraction, thousands of tourism operators all fighting for a piece of the ever decreasing pie.

I must be getting old..........................

Contact Us NitroExpress.com