Chasseur
(.375 member)
29/01/06 03:42 PM
Hunting in Hawaii

Having been born in Hawaii and having lots of family there I go back just about every year and do some hunting there. I know for many Hawaii is not the first place you think about as a prime hunting location, but its great fun there. There is supurb upland bird hunting on most islands, and pretty good big game hunting too. There is not a great variety of game animals: mostly feral pigs (boar), feral sheep, feral goats, and some mouflon. Some islands also have very good deer populations, both chital/axis and blacktail deer.

I though I'd put together a few photos from the past several years of casual family hunting and put them on the forum. I've more boar pictures but I'll have to dig them up and post them later:

Hunting boar in the forest is a different hunting experience. We use dogs and they track the boars. It is lots and lots of walking in very thick stuff in deep mud. The dogs will fight and grab the boars and then you finish it off with a gun or knife. There are big boars in the forest (up to 200lbs or so).

Here's a small sow from several years ago.

Hunting birds up on Mauna Kea volcano at about 9,000 ft. It is hard hunting on broken lava rocks for chukar, California quail, francolin (grey and Erckel’s), kalig pheasant and some turkey hunting too. I really love bird hunting there: lots of birds and generous limits. Also excellent dove hunting in Hawaii too but at a lower elevation in agricultural areas.

The mountain also offers pretty good spot and stalk hunting year around for boars, sheep and goats. Unfortunately there is now an eradication program so mouflon and sheep are getting harder to find now… But it has a unique rugged beauty though, I've heard some compare it to Namibia but I don't know for sure.

Also there are opportunities for cull hunts. My brother went a feral cattle hunt a few years ago. Here are some photos of us on a mouflon cull hunt that we were fortunate enough to get drawn for last year. Not big trophies but it was a great experience (not to mention a free guided hunt in Hawaii!!).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com