crshelton
(.333 member)
08/03/22 10:11 AM
Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA

Interesting and good sport. My hound hunts have only been for feral boars and that can also be fun.

Over the years, we have favored the Boars Nest, a hunting property 90 miles north and just over the border in Oklahoma. There are two parts to the property, a walk and stalk area and the trophy pasture where the smallest boars are 300+ pounders that can really fight the chase dogs. The MO is to load hunters into benches in the bed of a pickup while the dog handler looses the dogs. The landowner does this for fun and a modest fee because he breeds, trains, hunts, and sells the dogs.
He also takes some dogs further into southeast OK to chase black bears, but never kills the bears, he just trees them, calls off his dogs and drives to another area and does it again.
Anyhow, the hunt with dogs is a fun way to break in a new rifle. After the boars are dead other staff take them to the cleaning are where they are skinned ,quartered, washed and placed on ice in coolers.

My kind of hog hunting! I have lots of pics, but this one included my .45-70 DR that is now a 45-90, here tis: Dog handler pulling dead boar from creek where it fought dogs until I shot it.

Picture time with somewhat soiled hog"

THe dogs ignore the sows and chase only boars and this sow was getting up in years and weight - 600 pounds when it made the mistake of coming out in the open.

Grandson learning the game with his uncle:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com