eagle27
(.400 member)
16/12/21 02:56 PM
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting???

Quote:

I don't know about about Jack O'Connor being a great hunter. Seems to me he had good guides, which allowed him to shoot a lot of game around the world.

His average # of shots to kill a Canadian Moose was reported in Gun Digest as being 3.8. As most moose shooting is done at close range, usually between 15 and 100yards, you might wonder why he "averaged" 3.8 shots?

Now, his wife Eleanor, used just 29 shots, to kill 28 head of African game. She used her favourite 7mm Mauser, but it wasn't loaded with 130 or 140gr, bullets. Seems to me, she liked 160gr. Nosler Partitions, iirc.

My buddy's wife killed several African Antelope with her .270, using 130gr. TTSX's - including an almost record Kudu. All one shot kills, which she does each year on deer, bear(a huge one last fall) and moose, same rifle, same loads.

O'Connor wrote two articles in the RCBS Reloading Guide, Fourth Edition;

One was "Rifles for Africa" where he said on safari in Mozambique Eleanor shot 17 head of game with 19 shots from her 7x57, 3 shots for a big Kudu which was heart shot with the first round but put in two more to anchor it faster, all other animals were one shot kills most in their tracks.

In the article "Handloading for Hunting" he mentions Eleanor, again in Mozambique, using the 160gr Sierra over 52gr of 4831 for around 2700fps in her 7x57 which was highly effective on game big or small.

I'm assuming both instances Jack speaks of in the RCBS booklet articles are one and the same.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com