260rem
(.375 member)
16/12/21 01:16 PM
Re: Four rifles for Alaska

I'd be happy with my K95 in 30-06 big gsme and the 22 hornet barrel for small game, pretty much the same as I find here in Australia.
If I still had a 9.3 then it might get used, but honestly the 30-06 kills everything just as well, I don't even load it hot, just a mild 2800fps with a 150gn Ttsx from a 19" barrel.
I would use the 06 here on buff, but I wouldn't want to try and stop one with it if it wanted a piece of me. I'd load the 240gn Woodleigh for that, or a 180gn TTSX.
Although with the 9.3's I'd use the 286gn partition for everything, no need to change loads that's worked for me on everything from small pigs to buff.

I think there's too much reinventing the wheel these days, the same old rounds used 100 years ago still do the job just fine as they always have.
New rounds especially the magnums can give you much more range but more range is no substitute for being able to stalk and hunt.
But then most people spend more time at the range trying to shoot groups at various ranges or hitting gongs then they do learning to read the wind and walk quietly.
I'd imagine that's as true in Alaska as it is here, but a visiting hunter might feel that something with more legs might give them an edge if they can't get close, and if it's a once in a lifetime hunt then that might be to their advantage.
But you are always going to be better off with a gun and load that your familiar with then something bought just for one hunt, and gun shops are usually full of like new magnums that their original owners just couldn't shoot or found too uncomfortable.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com