Ripp
(.577 member)
23/10/21 12:43 AM
Re: Backup handgun for bears?

Quote:

I read about Kim back when the incident occurred (1. 29 July, 2016, Alaska: Kim Woodman Kills Charging Grizzly with 10 mm)
I was looking for a larger fire power handgun at the time and Kim's experience made me settle on a G20 in 10mm, 6". I liked a number of its features, 6" barrel, always ready to fire, feel and of course 15 round mag. Yes I also agree, "You still have to aim....." however 15 rounds just gives you more chances to get it right. There aren't a lot of Bears of the 4 legged kind where I live, it should be remembered, the 10mm, will have even more satisfying results with anything smaller in size and/or leg count.

I have a Glock 20 that I have since modified quite a bit.. custom barrel, different trigger and sights..thinned the grip and put more aggressive stippling on it.. Feel it would do really well on black bear and other predators including 2 legged..

I also see a lot of individuals who move here purchase these for similar reasons you mention above. For me personally, NOT my first choice when headed into country that has griz.. I prefer starting with 44 Mag and move up from there.. Having seen bluff charges, been face to face with griz (10 ft or less) ..seen actually griz attacks and visiting with those who have been, in many cases, not all but many, you will never get 15 rounds off.. I have a friend who was charged by a griz several years back while bow hunting.. he told me he didnt have time to even draw his weapon and the bear was on him.. he is the 5th guy who has told me that they might get off 1 or 2 before the griz is on them..

Phil was able to get numerus shots off with his 9mm and was also shooting Buffalo Bore Ammo..which is also what I use in all my "bear" handguns.. NOt always the case.. especially when you are bow hunting ..

Just my .02

Contact Us NitroExpress.com