DarylS
(.700 member)
15/02/21 05:59 AM
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber

I bought a Browning A-3 in .300 Win. Mag. some time ago, now. I bought it for long range shooting, mind you, around here, 110yards or closer is the longest range for most all of my big game shooting. Some years ago, I 'took' a moose at something over 300yards, but that was with a .45/70.
Anyway, since the local gun store had a big sale on, I bought a box of 180gr. Winchester bonded loads & from a friend, a box of Remington 180gr. Corelocts.
Both of these clover-leafed on top of each other at 100 meters.
I downloaded a ballistic program, guessed at the BC's of the Winchester bullets and out to the range I went. With 4 shots, I hit the 200, 300, 385 and 500 meter 14" x 16" AR500 plates hanging, then got a bit cocky and said to my brother, watch the buffalo (1000meters). Of course, I held for the chart's 1,000 YARDS and shot just barely under it's chest, as it was 1,100yards, not 1,000. He said HA! you missed.
I said keep watching, added 1 1/2 MOA - 27 1/2MOA on the scope's stadia wires and shot the buff in the heart. So - took 2 shots to hit the 1,000meter buffalo, if I hadn't gotten cocky, I'd have hit it with the first shot. Well, so much for long range shooting.
I packed that rifle on an elk hunt, got called home due to Mom being admitted into the hospital, so shot no critters with the rifle.
Couple weeks later I rapped 5 off onto the buffalo in a row from cold to hot barrel, again with the Winchester factory bonded 180's.
I sold the rifle next spring at our gun show.
Don't need it, I have my '06 now & a bunch of thumpers, .375, .45 and .50 cal. Of course, there is my 14 bore Sporting Rifle moose thumper as well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com