458Win
(.333 member)
15/03/20 03:55 AM
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun

A little back story

Tim Sundles, the owner of Buffalo Bore ammo, had contacted me and said he was making 147 gr hard cars 9mm ammo that was getting 1100 fps for people who wanted something to carry for protection from bears but didn't wish to buy some sort of heavy, expensive hand cannon.
He asked if I would test some ammo and give him feedback. So I tested his ammo against known deep penetrating calibers ( 30 Tokarev, 357 & 44 magnums and a 475 Linebaugh and came to the conclusion that it possessed enough penetration to get the job done.
One week later I was guiding a family who had fished with us before and all day the weather had been rotten so we couldn't get out. By mid afternoon it got better and I offered to take them fishing on a creek close to our home.
We had lived there 30 years, had experienced literally hundreds of close bear encounters and never been forced to shoot a bear, and since we were only going to be out a couple of hours, I elected to carry my little S&W 3954 semi automatic 9mm rather than the heavier and bulkier S&W 44 magnum I normally carry.

When the bear charged from a close patch of thick brush I was regretting my decision but realized it was my only chance . the bear chose to attack the two clients, who grabbed each other and fell back in the tall grass. The bear was standing over them and I was cognizant that I did not want a bullet to pass through and endanger them so was "glad" I had the 9mm.

After six quick hits Everything eventually worked out.

I have received a lot of flack for carrying the 9mm but ANY handgun for bear protection is similar to wearing a life jacket in a boat or keeping a fire extinguisher in the home. It may not be perfect but it can save the day.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com