Ripp
(.577 member)
25/09/19 11:36 AM
Re: 2019 Antelope buck

Quote:

Hey Ripp... Just as a side note.

I have hunted antelope several times with a bow. I have been really close quite a number of times too, but I can't seem to draw the arrow back without them seeing me and bolting. I have only ever shot one time with an arrow and I did kill that one. But other than that one time I have never even let an arrow go on any other antelope. Shooting them from my belly with a hand gun or any rifle is not all that hard, but doing it with a bow seems impossible for me so far.

Any tips?

What has worked for me is either spot and stalk or using a decoy during the rut.. if using a decoy, I can usually get pulled back with my bow behind the decoy as they are coming in.. still get busted.. but normally, depending how rutted up they are, can get a shot off..

Spot and stalk.. if I get within range.. I come to full draw and then rise up to let fly with the arrow .. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.. but that has been the most effective for me.. the last one I shot was actually bedded down behind a little bit of a rise/hill.. snuck up behind..knocked my arrow while kneeling.. then slowly rose up .. he spotted me and stood up..by then my arrow was on its way..

I do enjoy hunting them a lot.. rifle or bow.. they are just a lot of fun.. quick little guys with absolutely amazing eyesight .. amazing speed.. and good hearing.. certainly a worthy opponent..

Back when I first started hunting them, I always did spot and stalk with a rifle as well.. belly crawl when getting close..staying behind cover getting into position.. there is a lot of them and if you blow the stalk..its on to the next group.. or stay there..it seems sooner or later they will be back ..

Good hunting to you and your wife.. my wife likes to hunt them as well.. A LOT..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com