Miller
(.275 member)
09/06/03 09:23 AM
Re: My Favorite North American Hunting Caliber

NitroX;

You can very easily use spitzers in a tube magazine if you load it as you described, but then you turn your lever action into a 2 shot gun.

Most of the limitations imposed on the .30/30, are because of the need for flat nosed bullets to feed through the tube magazine. It was not until handgun hunters starting using it in the Contender, which is obviously a single shot, that shooters realized how good this caliber was, because they starting using modern spiters and boattails. I always keep a very close eye on pressure indicators, and have had no trouble with the lever action handling very powerful loads. The biggest problem you with a leveraction and a rimmed case is case head separation, which can be remedied by adjusting your resizing die to just touch the shoulder of the case, with the proper adjustment, you can get at least 15 reloads per case.

Of course, the .30/30 will never equal the .30-06 and has nothing in common with the 300 magnums except bore diameter, but if you are looking for a lightweight, packable rifle, it is hard to beat a 94 Carbine with a tang peep sight.

Maybe I will write a brief story about how handy it is to have a quick handling, fast repeater when you are filling the freezer..

Lynn Miller

Contact Us NitroExpress.com