Postman
(.375 member)
06/04/19 11:28 PM
Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ?

Moose hunting is a long local tradition here in Ontario..... Lots of searching, walking, scouting, calling, and then a whole lot of heavy work..... Then the challenge and worry of getting the meat back home, cut, wrapped and frozen before it spoils in the often warm mid October weather. The drive is typically 15 hours north (or more) of home here in southern Ontario.

Trophy size is elusive if you’re looking for 60” plus. Best I’ve seen in the bag is a 54” shot by a close friend back in 1982. I did see a really massive heavy antlered exceptional bull up in Pickle Lake but nobody could get a shot off so I can’t honestly say just how big it was.....

I think Newfoundland is a really good bet if success and price are both factors. You won’t see really heavy antlers like you see in the Yukon though. The Newfies are drowning in moose so thick, they are often considered a road pest and a serious night time driving danger. You’re looking at somewhere a little north of $3000 USD for a guided hunt last time I looked about 5 years ago but not sure of today’s prices.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com