9.3x57
(.450 member)
18/01/19 08:17 AM
Re: Game harvested in 2018...

Quote:

Holy crap that's a lot of ELK!

Elmer used to say "hitting at long range with a handgun was purely accidental, but if you practiced at long range with that handgun, you'll have more long range accidents than someone who didn't".

He came out with that when the, as he put it, "The Askin's Tribe" "started riding me" about the mule deer he shot with the first 4" .44 mag from S&W and the first box of Rem 240gr. G/C bullets. The judge was with him - somewhere around 600 yards he'd guessed IIRC - or was it 450? 450 would not be difficult due to the short barrel and tall front sight. To shoot at 334yards (approx), I only needed the bottom orange plastic level with the top of the rear sight. Holding on that line gave an easy sight picture. That gave the other 1/2 of the sight to be held up for longer range. I only ever shot mine to the 334yards or 305 or so meters. With longer barrels, more sight has to be held up.

I spent an afternoon with Bob Hagel in Salmon, Idaho with my then small son. Bob was as you remember a good friend of Elmer's and Elmer sort of raised him in the woods and taught him a lot. I asked Bob about that shot.

He winked and said "Elmer wasn't a liar but he may have exaggerated a bit." bob then went on to say this:

"But Elmer was the best pistol shot I've ever seen. One day we were riding and spooked a grouse that flew across a meadow and landed at the treeline. Elmer drew his 4" Model 29 and right there while sitting in the saddle said he saw where it landed and stopped. He thumbcocked the gun and calmly took aim and broke the trigger. he then reholstered the wheelgun and calmly took up the reins again and said 'I got it', then turned his horse and walked her over the meadow and offsaddled to pick up the dead bird. I paced the meadow and it was over 125 yards. He was a very good shot."

I am convinced that taking shots of opportunity with a constant companion reduces the "luck" involved and on some shots few are capable of, eliminates it entirely. But still one is faced with the mechanical accuracy of the gun, and that alone adds a dimension of chance to any long shot. My son who I've mentioned before is one individual who shoots far less than many guys I know who shoot competitively but I can't really name a single one that can outshoot him on woods critters and such. It's a different game for sure.

By the way, the whole town of salmon was then full of people that would tell all sorts of funny stories about Elmer. I had some long chats with people about his antics in town. He was quite a character!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com