Ripp
(.577 member)
07/11/17 01:29 AM
Re: Rattlesnakes

Quote:

I think the biological reason for massing together is to raise body temperature since they're cold blooded. Maybe this group was just emerging after the winter, or getting out of a cold wind. I've never run across anything like a mass of snakes like that and hope not to! I'm now thinking a warm night in a Whelen lean-to is not a good idea!

CONGRATULATIONS.... YOU are today's winner on snake biology ..

Rattlesnakes often congregate in caves, on ledges of large rock formations, or even in rock crevices to hibernate. They spend the winters in groups because the combined body heat makes for a warmer den.

Have run into them out bow hunting quite often..especially in eastern Montana...went running after a pronghorn one morning trying to head him off, jumped over some sagebrush..as soon as my feet hit I heard the all to familiar sound similar to bacon on a hot pan..spun around, there he was all coiled up..thankfully it was a cool morning so he was not moving very fast.. I tapped him on the head with one of my arrows..that got him pretty fired up.. needless to say he is no longer with us..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com