DoubleD
(.400 member)
20/10/17 12:27 AM
Re: My 70th Birthday Moose hunt.

Quote:

When the carcass was quartered the guides revised their opinion of the path of shot two. Shot two hit the top front left rear ham and looking inside it exited through the hip bone, traversed forward and exited the chest cavity right under the hump. There was no evidence the bullet exited the shoulder.

There are two round holes and one ragged in the ribcage. The two round holes go into the shoulder. Some might say this suggests bullet failure. I don't. Any bullet that penetrates the hip bone of a moose surely is going get damaged. Then to travel 45 to 50 inches or more and exit the rib cage into the shoulder, that bullet did not fail. I suspect also this bullet may have been responsible, at least partially for the liver damage.

Heard back from the guys in Innisfail. When they butchered the meat, they found no bullets or bullet fragment. They said two round holes went all the the way through and appeared to have exited the carcass. The jagged holes had nothing in them and didn't go through the ribs. I was not present when the guides skinned the moose so I didn't see the hide, to verify the two pass through's.

That that 250 grain .338 Sierra Game King has been my go to bullet in this .338/06 IMP and has never let me down. I have killed a truck load of deer with it. Does the job real well and reasonably accurate also. During the annual 3 shot scope check sight in, it regularly shoots right at inch groups. When I built it, it shot better than it does now. Not sure if that is because the gun has been used for 33 year or I had 33 year younger eyes back then.

Daryl, I haven't made spaghetti yet but we did make my mother's widow's pie a version of shepard's pie and my wife made her taco soup, an Oklahoma style mild chili with the hamburger. Excellent.

We also had some T-bone. Wow. My wife is not a steak eater (beef steak) but she loved these.

We are headed on to Oklahoma in the morning. We had frost on the windshield two days ago. Time to get out of Montana.

I need to get another gun ready for my next hunt, a Whitetail Deer hunt in Ford, KS with black powder Cartridge rifles. The is the last part of my Birthday hunt package.

I think I will do another video.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com