DoubleD
(.400 member)
05/10/17 09:36 AM
Re: My 70th Birthday Moose hunt.

Thanks guys.

Hope guys liked the little bit of humor I interjected into an other wise dry hunting story? You did catch it didn't you? I tried to be subtle.

The Guides quartered the carcass and we hauled it to the butcher this morning. 1/2 of the meat will dropped off in Innisfail and will used for the banquet of the meeting of the Victorian Rifleman next June. The butcher will make steaks, roasts, hamburger, and sausage meat for me from the other half. The butcher has estimated I will get about 280 lbs from my half.

When the carcass was quartered the guides revised their opinion of the path of shot two. Shot two hit the top front left rear ham and looking inside it exited through the hip bone, traversed forward and exited the chest cavity right under the hump. There was no evidence the bullet exited the shoulder.

There are two round holes and one ragged in the ribcage. The two round holes go into the shoulder. Some might say this suggests bullet failure. I don't. Any bullet that penetrates the hip bone of a moose surely is going get damaged. Then to travel 45 to 50 inches or more and exit the rib cage into the shoulder, that bullet did not fail. I suspect also this bullet may have been responsible, at least partially for the liver damage.

Here is the entrance hole inside the chest cavity from the first shot. The brisket to the right.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com