NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/01/17 06:08 PM
Re: 9.3x62 Hornady bullet failure

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets are very soft, maybe even softer than the Sierra GameKings.

Premium bullets are readily available and really do help wrt to a broader effective performance envelope. Yes, they do cost more than traditional cup and core bullets. I for one use premium bullets for hunting and use the cup and core types for amusing myself at the target range.

Nosler were 'tards for ffffing up the original simple hollow pointed solid base bullet which worked well.

As for using "premium" bullets on everything, when one using 100 to 300 rounds on a feral hunting trip, not so common nowadays though unless it is a Northern donley or pig cull, using premium bullets on everything is both expensive and un-necessary. If shooting two cartridges on a trip and it is an expensive hunt, absolutely.

Is there a possibility to get in on one of those cull hunts and if so, what type of animals would the hunter be culling?? Do outfitters offer these??

I got in on a brief cull during my second trip to Africa...was in S Africa ..amazing time...

Ripp

Didn't see this till now.

What sort of animals?

I used to shoot a lot of feral goats. They are worth money now, by rounding up, and selling. One can see big stock crates on semi-trailers, truck trailer plus two trailers full of stinkers on the Stuart Highway at Port Augusta. Big horned billies included in the crate. Bigger horns than I have ever shot.

Feral pigs. Yes. Don't seem as numerous in NSW and Qld due to past droughts. No doubt will breed up if they haven't already. We weren't shooting for numbers, didn't pursue the herds, but shot I think 32 boar on one trip, three days. We did bump into a two herds which combined together at maybe 300 pigs. Then cahsing them in the Jep to get into position to shoot, got stuck a hundred metres out into the wetland swamps. Spent the rest of the day getting out again ... One of our members goes to the Kymberleys and used to, and may still do so, shoots as a group up to and above 600 pigs in a cull.

Donkeys. Are another big cull beast. Sometimes hard to put down. NT and Northern WA/Kymberleys have hundreds of thousands of donkeys. Or used to.

Hunt Australia used to do Feral Cull hunts. Rifles recommended were the .308 and similar where lots of ammo was easy to get. Matt Graham has passed on, end of last year, so I am not sure what has happened with Hunt Australia and if anyone else is taking it over. I did hunt one of Hunt Australia's ex-cull properties. Still some donks, not many pigs, bit of a fizzer. Probably why MG had stopped taking cull shooters there, and gave the property away to an "online unting club". Posted a thread on that hunt in the NT here somewhere in the past.

Horses. Sometimes there can be horse culls. Only shot a couple myself. They drop very easily. Didn't take any photos. They are beautiful animals and some people get upset. Thousands of brumbies in the Aussie bush. Be VERY careful not to shoot stock horses.

Camels. A bit of an expedition is needed for camels into the desert. And don't expect big numbers. Hundreds of thousands of feral camels in Australia. For "roadside poachers" beware, they are sometimes stock animals.

Cattle. There are wild cattle too. Scrub bulls. Not usually a mass cull proposition.

On a feral shoot, however if there are a few species around, pigs, donkeys, scrub bulls, maybe even some camels and horses, it adds to the variety. I find the big numbers culling gets boring and excessive very fast. Repetitive, but does add to one's shooting skills. I culled buffalo for two days. Shot ten the first day. Then decided to stop on buffalo that day. Shot six the next day. Was paying for each. Good practice though. Shot some pigs, they were not numerous, a scrub bull, and a couple horses.

If you can get onto kangaroo shoot culls, these are good practice. Landowners have tags or permits in some states where roos can be shot, but must be left on the property so most are left to rot. Overall in Australia, permits for 3.5 million roos are issued per year

Some outfitters may be able to help you find cull hunts. Or even some members.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com