NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/12/16 10:39 AM
Re: 9.3x62 Hornady bullet failure

I've used the 286 gr Woodleigh in my 9.3x74R on deer, pigs, donkeys, scrub cattle and water buffalo and it seems to do OK. Plus warthog in Africa.

Other than the Woodleigh's which have proven usually to work, I don't bother with the traditional bullets like Hornady, Sierra, Speer etc. OTHER than on paper, small-to-calibre animals, ferals etc. Shooting the average feral pig or goat with a .308 or .30-06 even relatively fragile bullets will work.

I used to use the original Nosler solid bases for ferals and partitions for deer, African game etc. The originals worked well, the ballistic tip designs were crap. Got enough Partitions for the .30's and some other calibres to last a lifetime.

Shooting a realitively small deer with a 9.3 if shot in the right place, even a relatively fragile bullet should still work. And if hit well in the lungs, a fragie bullet will kill quicker than a more solid bullet such as an A-frame, theoretically.

But haven't had much experience with A-frames as I usually have regarded them as a bullet for bigger bores, too tough for most lighter medium game and haven't needed to try them out to date. I will probably try the 200 and 220 gr A-frames in 8mm. For bigger bores so far I have stuck to Woodleighs, which are cheaper than A-frames here and work so why change.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com