peteblt
(.224 member)
29/04/14 06:53 AM
Re: Delisting the Grizzly...

Ripp, you may live to see it, I won't. You'll note on that map in your link, just a tad below their "admitted" range is Pinedale WY where I live. Black bears are hunted by baiting in WY. In 2010 a hunter had a bait near Half Moon Lake (about a mile from my house). Late in the day in came a bear and he killed it. It was a very old and battered Grizzly. He quickly turned himself into WYG&F, as if the Feds get you, you're toast. (The joke is you'll do less time for killing your spouse than a Grizzly).
He lost the bear, got fined but that was it.

A guide friend had a bowhunter on a Moose Hunt about 30 miles NW of Pinedale.
They glassed a nice bull. The guide usually went unarmed but this time carried in his Marlin 45-70 carbine full of Buffalo Bore loads. When they got to where the Moose had been (willows along a stream) a Grizzly came out in full charge. The 45-70 was run dry and the bear was less than 10 feet from their feet. The guide reloaded, call the wardens, they came and concluded that since the pile of empties was very close to the bear it was a "good shoot". Later they discovered a dead steer calf back in the willows so the bear was defending its kill.

Whole areas in the Gross Ventre mountains, near Jackson (pronounced gra-vant) that used to be prime Elk country are now essentially unsafe to pack in and set up a camp to hunt from.

It's too bad that the same government that once exterminated all the wolves and bears to open up the back country for cattle and sheep grazing permits, has now reintroduced these apex predators while STILL selling grazing leases.

We finally got back control of the wolves (saw 2 last year but no shot possible), the bears should be next. Given the cost to hunt Browns up North, I imagine WY/ID/MT could charge $10,000 for a non-resident Grizzly license and have a line going back to NY. It's a shame that dozens of "problem bears" are executed every years by state and federal officials, that could have been a hunt of a lifetime for some sportsman. Many more are killed by ranchers to protect their stock following the motto of:
Shoot, shovel and shut up.

At least we got rid of all our state gun laws in Wyoming.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com