Ripp
(.577 member)
21/12/11 07:34 AM
Re: First Pheasant hunt for Kate -and for the season

Quote:

A good day out in the field with one`s dog is a real pleasure in life.
Any info on guns used etc Ripp and shot size used(steel?)I ask as we dont have much of a clue as to shot laws in your state.

Thank you--
One friend was using a 12 gauge Benelli semi-auto with 6 shot..the other was using a Benelli semi-auto 20 gauge with 6 shot and I was using a double 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth using 5 and 6 shot..all of us were shooting lead...where we were hunting we don't have to use steel as it was not in a waterfowl area...

Normally I use a 20 gauge --either a Browning o/u or my Merkel s/s---but have not had a chance to use the 16 since I had bought it used a year ago...its in really nice condition and about 77 years old per the serial number..pretty much anything will work shooting over a pointer as shots tend to be fairly close..but this time of year when it gets colder and if the wind is blowing..they don't hold very well and shots tend to be a bit longer..so I like to use max loads in the shot size I am shooting..that, and the pheasants have their winter feathers so they can take a hit better..

Take care.. and hope this helps..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com