9.3x57
(.450 member)
01/12/11 12:37 AM
Re: Hunting wolves in Idaho

Nitro, private property has nothing to do with it. Wolves may be taken wherever it is legal to hunt; state, Federal land, etc.

There are some open country spots where a fellow might develop a plan to successfully take wolves sometimes, rarely. No impact on overall populations which is the goal here.

Trapping is very difficult. Especially so to avoid non-target catches.

I think I get your drift, but as for being "Cool", well, there is nothing "Cool" about it.

Warning; Say the opportunity to hunt wolves is "Cool" anywhere around here and you'll be spitting teeth.

I really don't think many who don't live here understand the rage that people feel over this issue. They want them dead by any means. Hunting them isn't "cool", it is a pain in the ass, expensive, unproductive, and almost embarrassing. It'll become a term like "Snipe Hunting" I think in the future unless regulations pertaining to mehtods used are changed.

Interestingly, there are some outfitters who are now selling wolf "hunts". To be frank, due to the possibility of actually killing a wolf while being "guided" to do so, the sale of such hunts borders on deception in advertising, but there it is.

When extra tags were given outfitters and the entire Lolo zone was opened to shoot on sight wolf killing by the outfitters without being hobbled by tourist hunters, 5 were taken. Just earlier this year the state tried an aerial gunning operation in the same area and 5 were taken. At a cost of $19,000 which is about 4 grand per wolf. The operation was shut down as a complete failure, as we all knew it would be.

In areas where aerial gunning is effective the flight time costs $1,000 per hour and the effectiveness declines as the pack is repeatedly gunned as wolves understand how to evade both fixed wing and helicopters in the broken country where they are commonly a-gunned. They learn fast.

I have wolves all around me. We hear them. Had them pass thru my ranch a couple weeks ago at night. Try to get one. Good luck. Most every one of the 150+- {haven't checked the status lately} killed in the state so far this year are "bumped into" while deer or elk hunting.

I am the USDA/APHIS/WS ADC county representative and I also wrote both the county wolf policy adopted last year and the county expanded methods of take regulations which are being demanded by the county.

You will be hearing more on this. I'll be filling you guys in more on how you all can help in a movement to change things for the better, and I sincerely hope some of you are flush with cash and are willing to dig deep and come out slow in order to do so.

Stay tuned.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com