Altamaha
(.333 member)
25/09/11 07:43 AM
Re: Latest Grizzly Kill, Anyone got the Facts?

Yes this is a hard one. If they still thought it was a black bear when entering the thick stuff after the wounded bear, no wonder it turned out this way.

I am sure both had no dangerous game experience. What to do in a charge situation? Wonder if they had a pre scuffle chat on how to handle the situation.

No PH's with a big bore "Stopper" in this situation. If anyone ever needed Phil (458Win) with his experience and his 458 for backup, this was the place.

What would you have done? Wade into the bear/hunter scuffle and stick the gun muzzle in the bears ear and pull the trigger? Hold back and try to get a clear shot? Try for a spine shot? Tough to do when the bear is in fast motion mauling the hunter. Get close and bruin turns on you.

Cartridge selection is one of my questions. If I were just going after a black bear, I would likely pack my 30-06. If I knew Grizzlys were in the area, I would likely have taken my 375 or maybe the 338 Win.

A bad tragedy all around. Goes to show when the S*&^ hits the fan, things can easily cascade into something worse.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com