DarylS
(.700 member)
23/02/11 01:38 AM
Re: shoot wolves now, ask questions later

Gopher poison in Alberta used to be 10/80. Trouble with Strychnine is the smell - they learn it and then stay away. Now, poisons leave signs in the body, so anyone looking at a hide could tell from blue veins - apparently - this is what I was told. I don't know if that's 10/80 or strychnine or cyanide or all three. The cyanide guns are immediate - these wolves are smart and the guns would probably only work on one animal of a pack. That's no good.

As far as making them extict, too much wild territory in the States just as there is here. You've got them thanks to the Government idiots, now you are stuck with them.

We tried to eradicate the wolves - make them extict, back in the 50's - didn't work then and won't work now. Everyone was poisoning wolves. Poisoned carcasses and parts of carcases all over the place - horses, sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, you name it - spread all over, dropped from planes even. Nasty on all wildlife that are the dead wolves or on animals/birds that ate those. That's when they found 10/80, if used correctly could be almost Canine specific - even an eagle, hawk or raven eating the dead wolf would only get sick then swear off dead wolves.

An old trapper who was in the game back then, told me wolves got to where they would run if they came across human scent or anything to do with humans - dogs, horses, cattle - whatever - would put them on the run - not touch anything human or of humans. He said they'd come to a snowmobile or dog sled and jump it by 10' either side, never coming close to the nasty human's track.

It took them over 20 years to overpopulate again - quite an animal. Spread the food on the table and they'll multiply like gophers - well, not quite.

How could the Fed's be so, well, you get the drift - the rancher gets the shaft.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com