Ripp
(.577 member)
20/10/10 11:40 PM
Re: End of the pen? Wall St Journal,top read

Quote:

I've been to Colorado twice Elk hunting only to have paid thousands of dollars to be placed in an overly hunted area and see nothing.

Just MHO, but if that is the case you went with a shitty outfitter...I know many outfitters in Montana--and the way they conduct their business would never allow for that type of hunt to occur..perfect example , I have one outfitter who leases 60,000 acres from a rancher--he limits the total number of bulls shot per year to 8 to 10 depending on the quality he is seeing...which prevents what you are describing above from happening...having said that, hunting is hunting..you are never guaranteed to harvest an animal ever in the wild...Living here in Montana--there are MANY times I go out and don't shoot or get a shot at anything...which is fine as just hiking in the woods most times is "lucky enough".. and I am just lucky enough to live here so I can try and try --and we have a very long season...

another issue is you need to check out the outfitter prior to plopping down you hard earned $$...check references, ask specific questions, etc....had a friend just in the last few weeks, drove to BC to hunt grizzly and moose--after 6 days he packed up his equipment and left--what the guy had advertised as a horseback hunt ended up being a hunt from the truck driving roads and glassing...again, IMHO, that is NOT hunting...

as to private (high fenced) or public...each to their own, really have no dog in this fight...whatever floats your boat...personally however, most of the big animals I have ever shot has been on public land..no fees, no guides, just getting out there, and if you are willing to hike more than 2 or 3 miles from the main road, 99% of the time you will be by yourself as most are too lazy to put more effort into it than that...again, just my opinion..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com