Chasseur
(.375 member)
20/06/04 02:01 AM
Re: Grouse Hunting

HI Blackbear hunter,

When I lived in the Alaskan interior (arround Fairbanks) I was a pretty avid grouse hunter for both Spruce and Ruffed grouse. Now up north they are called "fool hen" and are not too challenging most time. Most guys just cruise the roads and "ground swat" them (not condoning this, but it happens). Also a lot of guys shoot them with 22s. You can hunt without dogs. One of the best methods is to go to logging areas (grouse need the transition areas) either early in the morning and hunt arround trails they fill their crops with stones then in coveys. Also late afternoon they start to roost so also easy to find them then.

Having moved to Virginia there are very few ruffed grouse in the mountains in the area (MD, VA, NC etc). Not sure how it is in Georgia. If its like VA a dog is really necessary. You can bust brush for weeks and not see a single bird arround here. Best hunting is in the thickest stuff you can find, the like to hide in Mountain laurel, and feed on wild grapes, old apple orchards, etc arround here. As much as I love grouse I've given up here in this area, its just not worth it. I'm reall new to woodcock so I cann't give yo much info...

Nothing really special on guns and loads. They are not big or tough birds. A light gun is good and one that you can manuver arround in tight spaces is always a plus. Any guage from 12-28 (or even 410 if you're a good shot, though I'm not a fan of it for hunting...), a 20 or 28 will suit grouse fine. 7-1/2 or 8 shot will work well. Not need for magnum loads. I think a light 20 SxS or O/U is a perfect grouse gun, but use what you like.

For safeties, I use SxS with tang mounted safties and its my habit to take the safety off while I mount the gun and put it back when I lower the gun. You can practice this while shooting low gun skeet, trap or sporting clays. After you say pull, as you mount the gun take the safety off. After a little while it will become second nature. Tom Huggler and Robert Elman have written some good books on upland birds.

THe shots grouse here are close. They flush when you are in the thickest stuff and you only have a second before they are out of sight.

Ruffed grouse cook up nicely. Nice white meat. Just cook as you do pheasant or partiridge. Spruce grouse a not nice (taste like spruce tress....), but you can make them nice. I used to make a lot of mexican food with them, fajitas and the like and that worked.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com