butchloc
(.300 member)
02/04/10 07:07 AM
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears

maybei can help a bit. black bears are quite common in many states and canada. they will come in color phases from black to white and everywhere inbetween. nominally a black bear hunt is rather inexpensive, say in the 2-5000 range. the costal bears are by far the largest average, but huge ones show up everywhere. not normally aggressive, they are still powerful creatures. hunting them can be from stands, dogs treeing them, spot and stalk etc. one of my favorites is spot and stalk in eith the mountains of the western states or along the coasts of alaska. while hearty animals they do not require a stopping type of rifle, something in the 3006 category is plenty.
grizz and brown bears are actually the same animal, its just the browns live where the salmon run so their diet is protein rich and hence get bigger. Either one is a totally different animal from blackies. i've hunted inland griz from the arctic to heavy forested lands and nowhere are they to be taken lightly. while they will normally run from you, they are unpredictable and have a definate safety zone around them. afraid on nothing, they respect man, but are not afraid of man. as a premier game animal the hunts are expensive ranging from 10-25000. inland griz are generally cheaper than browns. I like to compare them to eles. both are the biggest toughest guys around and if the decide to prove it they will. I use almost exclusively a 375 for these guys. spot and stalk are the usual methods for griz or brownies, but many inland bears are often on mixed bag hunts with sheep, caribou and or moose. They are a most amazing animal, capable of reasoning, extremely fast and powerful. like eles i've watched griz push over trees just for something to do. the reach full speed on the first step. in all cases a bears eyesight isn't the best, although they do see movement rather well. their ears are sharp, but they may or may not pay attention to them, but that big old nose.One sniff and they have all the answers. On a scale of 1-10 it is said man is 1 bloodhound is 3 and bear is 9. most fascinating creatures, i believe that i could be happy doing nothing else but watching them forever

Contact Us NitroExpress.com